Wed 15 Aug 2012
Clients always ask what we have for breakfast. “That’s simple,” I always answer.
Breakfast at my house is a smoothie.
Here is my recipe (although we change it up a lot, here are the basics):
Get creative… decide what tastes you enjoy. There are no hard fast rules. This makes a full blender (8 cups) so adjust accordingly.
- 6 oz of frozen organic spinach or 2 cups of fresh spinach
- ½ cup of org. blueberries (frozen or fresh; or 4-5 large strawberries; I try to stick with berries and just a bit to avoid excess sugars)
- 2 scoops of SunWarrior Vanilla or Chocolate (from Green PolkaDot Box)
- 1 teaspoon of stevia leaves (from Mountain Rose Herbs) … if you are using powdered stevia… you would use less. If it comes out bitter… you know you used too much
- 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon (I love cinnamon… if you don’t, use less. I always add some though as it helps to stabilize blood sugar which is good if you are adding the fruit)
- 6 Tablespoons of seeds (you choose…. Flax, hemp, or chia). (Try using just one seed type at a time… you can cycle through them; seeds should ideally be soaked overnight; you can also puree the seeds before adding the other ingredients to ensure they are broken down)
- I use 1 tablespoon of SunWarrior’s Ormus Greens (Green PolkaDot Box has the best price for these as well…. The bag is expensive… but lasts a long time and the quality is the best I have come across in green formulas anywhere)
- Optional: you could also try: cacao powder, carob powder, ginger powder, cardamom powder, vanilla powder (or liquid), more or different green veggies, just about anything.
Simply throw all of these ingredients into the blender and mix (I suggest blending the seeds first though to create a creamier consistency)!!
Please leave a comment and tell me what you add to your smoothies to change up this recipe